Thursday, April 13, 2006

Project Help Group Update

***UPDATE***- I will not be in on Wednesday at all, or Thursday until the evening, as I'm a bit under the weather; however, someone will be there to unlock the TA lounge both days, and the snacks, soda, and tea are still there.

The Project Help Groups will be meeting from 10-5 monday, and approximately 10am-8pm the other days (It may thin out as it gets later, but I will stay to try to help those people who work during the day). We have scheduled the conference room starting at 9am all 5 days, but it takes me two hours to get there, so all I can promise is that I will be there to unlock it between 9-10am.

Other notes:
The group is for people who are having technical problems, e.g. "is this a good instrument," "do I need this dummy variable,""I have holes in my data about energy usage in some countries," "I'm having issues with stat-transfer,""I'm not sure if running the regression this way is testing for exactly what I'm trying to test for," etc..

BRING YOUR STUDENT ID- While we have reserved the room, security may be checking student IDs on the way in. Also be aware that the bookstore has shortened hours and the cafeteria is closed. (There will only be snack foods and soda at the conference room).

When you show up for the group, you should have most of your data... this means you should understand your hypothesis thoroughly, and have at least a ballpark estimate of what variables you will need. If there is some data you know you need, but are having difficulty actually finding it, we will be glad to try to help. Nobody expects you to be done with your project, and everyone expects that at some point you will probably discover a need to add some additional variables to cut down or get rid of endogenaity in your u term. Due to everyone elses high workload, please do not come unprepared, very few people, if any, will have the time to actually read your entire proposal, and of those, nobody will have the time to tell you with any degree of precision exactly how you should go about executing your entire proposal (which is something that should be in your proposal anyway). I apologize if this seems brusque, but I've received several requests for help over the last two days that indicate at least a few of you who are planning on going to these sessions need to first see Professor Deb about your final proposal as laid out in homework 3.

No comments: